Friday, February 11, 2011

New Update in Developer Channel Cures Some Ills

The main Grooveshark LogoImage via WikipediaLast night (2/10), a new developer channel update was pushed to my CR-48.  That would be the second update this week (gotta love the development channel) and it has fixed my major complaints with the last update that I wrote about on Monday (2/7).  But don't get me wrong, it wasn't real evident at first. Here's why:
The update downloaded and installed, at which point I restarted the CR-48.  First thing I did is check out Google Docs and a couple of other sites that were causing me problems since the last upgrade.  Everything seemed to be working flawlessly again.  So, I started Grooveshark, and lo and behold, still no music.  Very disappointing as this is one of the reasons I love the CR-48.  Having a machine that plays my music while I work is very important.  So, I thought I'd also checkout the webcam functionality which has been borked since the last update, and it also was still non-functioning.  Okay, I thought.  Wait for the next upgrade.
This morning I'm checking out a couple of Chrome OS forums, and I see that someone has started a thread about the update from last night.  And there in that posting is the answer I was looking for!  In the about:plugins page (which I only visited briefly when I first got the CR-48) you can look at the details of the plugins by clicking the Details link.  This shows that there are two versions of the Shockwave Flash plugin installed: 10.1 and 10.2. The poster in the forum said that to enable media and web cam and all sorts of other things that were broken in the last update that you only needed to enable the 10.2 plugin and disable the 10.1 plugin.  I did this and found that everything I was missing was now fixed.
Flash sites seem faster, music plays from sites like Grooveshark, Hulu works again, and the web cam and microphone are working again from Flash sites.
Gotta love the development channel!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment