Wednesday, January 19, 2011

WiFi Problem on the CR-48

Wi-Fi Alliance logoImage via WikipediaOne of the annoying things that I have noticed on my CR-48, and that I have reported to Google, is the inability of the OS to keep a WiFi connection active when the computer goes into standby mode.  What normally happens is this:  I'll be using the notebook, and get distracted by something else for a few minutes.  The computer goes into standby mode, with the display off and the little blue power light blinking.  I'll touch the touch pad and the computer wakes back up.  The network icon still shows me connected to my home wireless router. But at this point, I can no longer get any data.  Refreshing web pages result in page not found errors.  I must manually go into the settings window, disconnect the wireless and reconnect.  At this point, everything is back to normal.  Other computers using my wireless network do not exhibit this behavior so I have to surmise that it is a CR-48 problem.  I sent in feedback, but I don't see this issue listed in the known problems area of the Chrome forums.

Is anyone else experiencing this type of behavior?  Let me know.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. mine drops the wifi connection during active usage, about every 10 minutes. coming back from sleep mode, the wifi usually hooks back up in less than a minute. definitely a chrome book issue as all the other computers on my wireless never drop connection over wireless. It's g, not n. I'm trying to figure out how to report this issue to google, came across your post during search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. had an update available, seems to be working better now, stayed connected to another wifi network for a good bit of time. Perhaps the latest update took care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the dev channel and I switched to the beta channel when it got the newer version of chrome os, and I still have a problem on wake-from-sleep. I have just started to disconnect from the wifi before I close the cr-48 for the night, and then when I open it up in the morning, it connects like I would expect it to. Can't say this is strictly a cr-48 problem, it could be my router as I see that the wlan light goes out after a few hours of non-activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - Same problem. It drops constantly and pushes me to my Verizon 3G connection. This isn't that big of a deal, but it is certainly annoying.

    ReplyDelete